Saturday, May 9, 2009

I'm not a Maya scholar, but I play one while at sea

So today I gave my first lecture, "Pre-Columbian Mesoamerica," with an emphasis on the Maya.  Those of you who know me might be surprised that this topic, since I am a literature scholar with no training in pre-Columbian archeology.  But they needed a lecture about this, so, undaunted, I read a few books and cooked up an introductory talk.  I was nervous, and my nervousness translated into energy, and they enjoyed the talk.  Which is good, expect that now everyone on the ship thinks I am some sort of Maya expert.  I'm getting questions like, "Did the Maya sacrifice children?" and "Do you think the cinnabar that the Maya elites used to coat their skin may have poisoned them?"  and "Which Maya site should I visit in Belize?"  Answers: "I'm not sure," "Maybe," and "I think any of them will be interesting."  My expertise at work.

I'm looking forward to lecturing about things I actually know about next time.  

I spent some time at the pool with the Kid.  He can't get enough of the pool.  It's his only form of real entertainment on board, since he is the only kid on the ship this time around.  In fact, he is part of the small minority under the age of 60.  

But we interrupted our time at the pool to take this picture:









If it weren't for the astonishing glare, you would just be able to make out the coast of Cuba on the horizon.  This was exciting for both the Kid and me, since my dad was from Cuba and I have never been there.  Clearly, the glare is a communist plot meant to deny me this important memento of my first view of the Cuban coast.  ¡Ese Fidel!

Tomorrow, Jamaica.  In the meantime, thanks to my brother José for the nifty new profile pic!

2 comments:

  1. The answer to did the sacrifice children is yes and to the cinnabr it's no, not enough iron or zinc in it. Glad the lecture went well and I'm sorry you all didn't just ditch Jamaica for Cuba. That would have been very cool indeed. Enjoy the waterfall trip. And I blogged about the chocolate bar. Yikes! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to know that all teachers gloss over answers so well. It is a developed skill!! I also thought about swimming to Cuba when our cruise ship drove by it. My parents noted the irony of this statement. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete